Sunday, August 31, 2014

Project Thundercloud II

     Minty Root's Project Thundercloud II, is a fan animation staring some of the beloved background ponies of MLP:FIM. I enjoyed this video for the most part. One problem I have is with minor script errors, such as that when referring to the elements of harmony, their main goal is to “find them back”. I know this doesn't seem like much, but it sounds supremely strange among all the other roughly grammatically correct lines. What had me listening for this, was that Celestia says it in the opening, and it just stuck out so much coming from a 1000 year old plus prim and proper magical scholar. I also noticed that the script doesn't have many, if any, abbreviated words. This lends to making the characters feel robotic, and a little too similar in dialog. I still don't think this breaks the animation, just that this needs to be rectified in later projects.

     The Doctor's lines where VERY rushed, almost like he was on the verge of hysterics, or had to finish the lines quickly because he was in the middle of the pee pee dance. This mixed with some jerky panning shots, served to take me out of the story. I by no means am hating on Minty Root or any of the collaborators of this video. I hope to see many things from them in the future, but they need to ask others in the brony community for critiques, and tips on how to fix the choppy animation. If they had cut some of the dead spots out between the scenes where music just stops for a little to long, they could have kept the pacing far more engaging, and not broke the immersion quite so often.

     I recommend checking this video out, and leaving some encouraging words for the creators, because I see a diamond in the rough here.


                                                 Stay calm, and pony on. (Bro-Hoof!)

                                                         Project Thundercloud II


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here, or message me personally.